Monday 26 October 2015

Road Season: Done

The days are getting shorter, the hands are getting colder and the bikes are getting dirtier. That can only mean one thing. The road racing season is done (well for a bit anyway) I can now concentrate on the real racing that is cyclocross...

However before that starts and my time is either spent riding my bike or cleaning the bloody thing, I wanted to have a quick recap over this road season, my highs and my lows.

Essentially due to revision, exams and work I could only start racing in the middle of May. This meant I lost valuable early season time and winter/spring races where the chance of points and fewer riders is greater, well only if you like racing in truly horrible conditions... I'd also missed the start of Crystal Palace Crits, something of an institution in the London racing scene and a circuit (and atmosphere) that is the best around. My first race, towards the middle of May was however indeed CP crits. Over winter, although i'd been studying i'd actually been riding alot, having the benefit of getting out super early with RPR and managing my time quite well meant I could keep the miles and high intensity training up still. I seemed to be feeling strong, nothing at all scientific to back this up of course, but feeling good is all I had to base my performance on. First race and it was predicable hard, big fields (50 plus) and CP meant unless you were on/at the front moving up during such a short and tight crit circuit was hard. That said, riders were being shelled out in the usual fashion, so staying with the front group meant I bagged 10th and my first point, only 39 to go! 

In an unlikely fashion I then got really organised, I entered loads of races, put them all in my diary, that way I was committed. The next few weekends I was away, and in the week couldn't escape work (life eh?) Next race in the diary was 28th May at Hog Hill, part of the summer series, however the weekend prior I did the Tour of Wessex (3 day sportive) and came off, some pretty nasty road rash and injuries meant I was off the bike for 2 weeks, and missed ALL (5) the races I had entered, frustrating, but one of these thing I guess... 

So it was now the middle of June, I should have raced quite a bit by now, but had only managed 1 race, less than ideal, but the next one on the 16th June was Palace. having had two weeks off there was no argument that I wasn't well rested, unlikely to have lost any real fitness and keen to gain more points I emptied myself that race. It paid off, and in my best result at Palace I placed 4th, pleased with that and the much needed 6 points awarded. 7 in total now...

June is always a funny month for me, mainly because it's Mountain Mayhem (24 hour mountain bike race) so before hand I need to rest a bit and after, well I couldn't even walk, let alone ride or race. It really takes it out of me. This year though it was all worth it because I came 7th. a personal best for me. 

Prior to this, there had been some discussion in the club about the RAS de Cymru, a race i'd always wanted to do, but felt that there were probably better riders within the club who were keen to do it, As it happened whilst there was plenty of people interested only 3 could commit, so I was in the team. I'd never even done a road race let alone a 5 day, 6 stage road race. I mean, how hard can it be? Well as it turned out, very bloody hard. I don't think i've ever felt quite so far out of my depth. There is a full report on my blog already, but it essentially we went well in the TTT with a 7th, then from there on it was a world of pain. I managed to stay with the bunch on all the stages (apart from when I got a puncture) I took so much away from that race, so much learnt and so much more to learn, as well as just generally get, well, faster.... The rest of July then mainly consisted of going to France for the Etape du Tour, I did a few other races, 1 at Hog Hill where I didn't place in the top 10, and then post Etape another Palace race where I placed 11th.



So it's the start of August, i've got 10 points, and cat 2 seems quite way off. I had a few races in the diary in the week, namely Crystal Palace as per usual. I'll get straight to the point, CP Crits number 14 was won by me, i'd only bloody well gone and won Palace, there is even a whole blog post on that one race. That gave me a much needed confidence boost and perhaps even more useful was the 10 points this provided. Now i'm on 18, that sounds better! The following week palace was cancelled due to rain, but CP crits number 16 was on. Feeling pretty good from my win (Yeah I know, still) I went into this knowing just how to play it from a tactics point of view. Well, that seemed to pay off again, and this time I came away with 2nd and the first in the bunch sprint, another 8 points.All of a sudden i'm on 28 points and the prospect of Cat 2 now seems very real. End of August was another stage race, this time up in Manchester where London Phoenix had a pretty big turnout for the Manchester Wheelers 2 day stage race. This was a 2/3 race so I was hopeful to maybe pick up a few points. Stage 1 was a TT of 1.1k, no points, stage 2 a 50k crit, no points and the 2nd day, stage 3 was a 80k hilly road race, no points (16th) So no points on any stages, however unlike the Ras I felt in control at all times, really enjoyed the race, felt my form and fitness was strong, and was perhaps a little unlucky not to get points. But hang on, given my consistent placing in all 3 stages I had managed to grab 13th on GC, that meant 3 extra points (to my surprise). So yeah, 31 points now, only 9 to go.




It was at this point, the start of September, that I decided I had to really go for it. I had to go for Cat 2. I traweled the BC website and found plenty of races both at the weekend and midweek, not all were that easy to get to, and perhaps not really what I wanted to be doing in September, and maybe October, but never the less, if I set myself a goal i'll get annoyed if i don't reach that goal.

First race was out at Cyclopark, and was part of the Summer Series run by  Full Gas racing. I've not bothered entering these races before, mainly because it's a pain to get to Cyclopark after work for a 7am race (no bikes on the train) so you have to ride the 27 miles there and then race. Less than idea. This does however mean that the field is typically smaller, with around 35 in both races when I raced there. I have always liked Cyclopark, it was the home to my first even win 2 seasons ago as a Cat 4, and when i've raced there I have always done quite well. First race here and myself and 4 other riders were doing most of the work, nothing managed to stay away, despite quite a few attempts and it came down to a mass sprint. I was positioned well and hard from the final bend, perhaps a little too early as I went from 2nd wheel to 7th wheel when we crossed the line. Not great, but still the much needed points and something to learn for next time. (34 points now). The following week was pretty much the same, albeit this time with Andy Price from LP also in attendance. He proceeded to do most of the work all race and paid the price in the sprint. Again, no break so it was a bunch sprint. This is where it got confusing. i crossed the line either, 4th, 5th or 6th. I was pretty sure 5th and looking at the video/ipad after I still thought 5th. Either way, turned out I was 6th. 4 more points and now on 38...



2 days after at it was off to Hog Hill for the Big Events Cat 3 only race, another circuit I like and either seem to do very well here or completely bomb, the outcome of which kind of depends on my positioning coming up the final hill... The race seemed fairly easy despite very windy conditions. Andy p was again very active on (and off) the front, so I spent quite a bit of time trying to stop attacks and being a general pain. Last lap and it again came to a bunch sprint, I was well positioned around 5th wheel, Andy around 4th. But, then all of a sudden the rider in front just sat up, causing both Andy and I to get boxed in. I somehow managed to squeeze through a gap and watched riders go past. I held on for 10th, not the result I wanted of course, but still a point is a point. 39 points now...

The next race was another Cyclopark one on a Saturday. 2 weeks in between this and my previous race meant I was well rested. Andy went off the front on the first lap and stayed away for a brilliant solo win. Kudos. I then spent the entire race slowing the pace and chasing down any attacks, it was actually really good fun, and I felt great. Coming into the final corner it was another bunch sprint for 2nd. I fought my way to the front and was holding position  around 3rd wheel now, this could be it. I crossed the line and sat up, around 4th. Hang on... Everybody is still racing... i'd sat up for the Thursday finish line some 100 yards before today's finish line. I finished pretty much last. I was understandably frustrated with myself. Mainly because it meant i had to continue racing, I was ready to be done now.

So i'm now on 39 points. I've got one more raced lined up before i'll have to start looking again and finding some last minute point grabbing opportunities. Unfortunately what was hopefully my final race was at Velopark, a circuit i don't much like. Race day arrived and it was cold and gloomy, maybe that will deter a few racers? Nope, not the case, as around 50 cat 3 lined up! We were also racing the wrong way (clockwise). No real attacks off the front so it was yet another bunch sprint. I was positioned fairly crap coming into the last corner, around 15th. I knew the final corner forces people out wide, so i cut it tight and had a clear line to sprint as hard as I could. I hit the bridge having gained maybe 5 or so places and continued to pass a few more. I was in the points for sure. Results in (via electronic timing) and a confirmed result of 8th. Cat 2 confirmed. Thank god.

It's been a long old season. I'd have liked to have stopped racing end of August so I could start cross, but that can't have been helped. I've no doubt got a lot of work to do next year, a few winter series races for sure and no doubt a healthy helping of getting dropped at Palace E12 to start with, but i'm looking forward to the challenge. Who knows, this time next year I could be Cat 1...

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment